Sunday, November 9, 2008

Week 4 of My MicroAquarium

This week I found a new organism that I had never seen before. It was a Blepharisma. A Blepharisma has a hood shaped head that eats bacteria in decomposing vegetation. The food passes through the cytostome and is stored in food vacuoles (Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa, A Colour Guide. D.J. Patterson, and Drawings by Stuart Hedley, Wolfe Publishing, Boca Raton, Florida. 1992, pg 146 image 326).
The picture to the left is of a Blepharisma.

















I also saw a Seed Shrimp as previously seen the week before. (Guide to Microlife. Kenneth G. Rainis. pg 209). I also found more Non-Shell Rotifers (Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. D.J. Patterson. Drawing by Stuart Hedley. John Wiley and Sons, Manson Publishing Ltd. New York and Toronto, Canada. 1996. pg 27).

Another organism that I found was a Tachysoma (Fresh-Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. D.J. Patterson, drawing by Stuart Hedley. John Wiley and Sons, Manson Publishing Ltd. New York and Toronto, Canada. 1996 pg 125).

No comments: